Mustang was founded by Ame Pal, who set himself up as king of this Tibetan territory in 1380. The present raja of Mustang and his family can trace their ancestry directly back some 25 generations to Ame Pal. Sometime around the year 1800 Mustang became a part of Nepal, but retained its status as a separate principality until as recently as the 1950's when the area was more closely consolidated into Nepal. Because of its sensitive border location, on the north side of the Annapurna Massif, Mustang was inaccessible to foreign visitors until 1991, when the Nepalese Government opened up the whole of the country. The upper (northern) part of Mustang remains a secluded and quite secretive Buddhist enclave, which previously prospered as a result of its strategic location on an important trade route between Nepal and India and Tibet, along the great natural highway of the Kali Gandaki Valley.
Evidence of this former prosperity is the excellent stock trail that runs north to south through the territory, a trail that we follow on this great trek. Offering straightforward moderately strenuous trekking on good trails, and at relatively modest altitudes, a trek into Mustang is a fantastic introduction to the first-time trekker in Nepal or for the more experienced person looking for a unique trip. The landscape is quite unlike anything that is to be found elsewhere in Nepal, with deep gorges and strangely sculptured rock formations, which are often brightly colored - yellow, red, orange, grey and blue. Set within this unusual landscape, each of the many painted villages and monasteries of Mustang appears to be more picturesque than the last - presenting unbelievable photographic opportunities. The cultural make up and recent history of the region is unique and fascinating and the local people, the locals are friendly and hospitable.
Max Elevation/Altitude:- 4200mtr/13776 ft
Trip Duration: - 18 Days
Daily Walking hour:- 6/7 Hours
Level: - Moderate Trekking
Accommodation/food:- Lodge, Choice menu, & Local organic food.
Group Size: - 2 Minimum pax - 20 Maximum pax
Season: - March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November
Upper Mustang Trek Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu. (1345 meters.)
A Himalaya Caravan Adventure representative will meet you at the airport and transfer you to our chain hotel.
Day 2: Trip arrangements, meeting with crew members and sightseeing around Kathmandu Valley.
You will meet your trekking guide, discuss the trekking program and coordinate any last-minute arrangements. After/before staff meeting, our professional tour guide will take you to visit some historical, religious and cultural sites of Kathmandu including Pashupatinath, Boudhanath Stupa, Swyambhunath and Patan Durbar Square.
Day 3: Kathmandu to Pokhara. (Drive/Flight)
We catch an early morning bus/car/flight to Pokhara, a lakeside town offering splendid views of the Annapurna Himalayas.
Day 4: Pokhara to Jomsom Flight, to Kagbeni
Early in the morning fly to Jomsom 2,720m Trek to Kagbeni 2810m 3 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Chhuksang 2,980m 6 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Syanboche 3,800m 6/7 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Via Nyi-la pass 4,025m view of Mustang, Annapurna, Nilgiri then Trek Down to Ghmi village 3,520m 6 ½ hour overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Dakmar 3,820m 5 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Via Lo-ghar Gumpa, Marang-la pass 4,230m Trek Down to Capital of Mustang, Lo-Manthang3,810m 7/8 hours overnight at Loge.
Trek visit around Lo-Manthang beautiful place of like Gumpa, Museum, Royal palace etc overnight at Lo-Manthang at Lodge.
Trek or horse riding to Visit Chhoser Gumpa, Jung Cave 4,030m Back to Lo-Manthang overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Charang 3,560m 5 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Jhaite 3,820m 6/7 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Chhuksang 3,050m 6/7 hours overnight at Lodge.
Trek to Jomsom 2,720m 6/7 hours overnight at Lodge.
Morning Domestic Flight, Jomsom to Pokhara 25 minute. Afternoon half day Sightseeing in Pokhara valley. Overnight at Hotel at Pokhara.
Day 17: By Flight/Bus/Car back to Kathmandu.
A early morning by flight/bus/car back to the Kathmandu and the time is yours to spend relaxing in Kathmandu.
Day 18: Departure.
A member of the Himalaya Caravan Adventure Team will transfer you back to the airport for your flight home.
· Domestic Airport picks up & drops by private vehicle.
· Accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara
· Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu with entrance fee
· All your standard Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek.
· Teahouse accommodation during the trek.
· English speaking guide during the trek and required number of Porters (1 for 2 people basis) to carry your luggage during the trek; their food, accommodation, salary, transportation fair, insurance, equipments etc.
· (Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu) and (Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara)flight ticket
· Upper Mustang special permit, Annapurna conservation area fee.
· Trekker’s information management system (TIMS) card fees.
· Jacket, sleeping bag and duffel bag to use during the trek.
· Travel & Rescue arrangements.
· All our government taxes and official expenses.
· Lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
· Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone calls, sweets, snacks etc.,
· All beverages and bar bills.
· Travel Insurance (Essential).
· Personal trekking equipment except stated above.
· Tips for guide, porter and driver
· Any loss arising due to unforeseen circumstances that is beyond HCA control
Note: Above day-to-day program schedule can be changeable, According to our valuable client’s intention and the situation of weather and also the duration of your trip of Nepal vacation.